Monday, June 12, 2006

JUNE 11, SUNDAY TRAVEL


SHOT OF THE DAY:
My pilot(not co-pilot) waiting to fly. You go girl !

DISCOVERY OF THE DAY:
Not all Chicago pizza is great pizza.

DISASTER OF THE DAY:
My flight to Columbus is delayed. Not a disaster yet as I have time to sit and write.


Heading off to my third General Convention, I wonder why I like being a deputy. In many ways it’s not my kind of thing... Long days. Long meetings. Lots of sitting. The first time I ran in the election of East Tennessee deputies, I threw my hat in to a sparsely populated ring of candidates that was a clue that most intelligent Episcopalians want no part of this. I was willing to give it a try one time and now I’m heading back for my third convention. Among other things this week I will explore why I like being a part of our General Convention and why I keep going back when the diocese agrees to send me.

Today is travel away from family at home and family at St. Paul’s. Monday is a day of orientation, initial speeches and welcomes and first committee meetings. The first legislative day is Tuesday.

So on travel day, I ask ,
“General Convention… Why do I go?”
Today the sad truth is that I like to travel. France or New York would be better, but waiting for connections in Chicago, the people watching is not bad. I see that comfortable travel clothes are in, with occasional stunning exceptions. Sparkle is in. Families are on the move. Sports attire is big with Northwestern, Indiana and the Cubs well represented. Also seen, Florida State, UC Berkely and Alabama (Roll Tide)…. No Vols so far. My independent survey of Chicago’s Midway Airport indicates the team with the greatest show of support is…. The Boston Red Sox. Go figure.

Nearly 1.5 hours late we are ready to leave Chicago for Columbus. Finally I'm gloing in the right direction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home